Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My neighborhood

Today was sad in terms of the impending need to say goodbye to my great neighborhood. I've been here for three years and have struggled to find a place for myself here. I feel like I've finally established myself as a member of the community and not just another young white kid rolling through. When I first moved here it, the whole don't-make-eye-contact thing was really hard for me to get used it. It seemed rude not to say hi to my neighbors. There was this older man who lived two doors down. Everyday when I got home from work he would be sitting on his stoop. I would say hi and smile, he would ignore me. Everyday, same thing. I ended up getting totally frustrated and embarrassed by this (I'm really sensitive to looking foolish in public) but kept it up anyway. To be honest, my motivations changed half way through. At first I just wanted to be a nice neighbor, then he seemed kind of sick to me so I wanted to befriend him to let him know that I was a nurse in case he ever needed anything. Anyways, after about two months of being ignored, he finally nodded hello to me. That was HUGE! I was so excited. Of course he then proceeded to ignore for another week after that, lol. But we're good now! He actually verbally says hello to me! And tonight when I went to the bodega to buy Draino, he was there and smiled a GIGANTIC smile, clapped me on the back and said hello. I was so happy :) And then as I was leaving this beautiful woman who walks her dogs past my apartment all the time stopped to say hello too. I just really felt like I was part of the neighborhood. I hate to leave here after waiting so long to get to this point, it just feels like its been years since I've been established anywhere. I still know leaving is the right decision, I just like to vent on here.
Oh and another successful day at the gym! Half hour on the treadmill and another half hour on the elliptical. AND I found out where they keep the wet cloths to wipe down the machines so I dont have to look like a jerk anymore for running away without disinfecting them ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment