Thursday, August 4, 2011

Perfectly lazy day

Today is exactly the type of day I was trying to avoid! I slept until 2p, then watched Pricilla Queen of the Desert in my boxers while eating ice cream. It was absolutely delightful ;) I just know that it'd be far too easy to make that my routine and I dont want to do that. I have so much that needs to get done!! So in order to keep myself on track I'm setting goals.

Goal 1) Choose my volunteer country by Monday (ahhh!)
Goal 2) Set up a budget outlying all the costs needed for said country by Wednesday
Goal 3) Make a list of all the home items I'll be selling and take pics of them by next Friday
Goal 4) Finish my bear cross stitch that I've been working on for months by next Sunday

I did use some of my afternoon to do research, so I dont feel like my day was a total waste. Here's what I found out:
Honduras is a really big program. They have over 600 children, two clinics (one for the kids, one for the surrounding community), a surgical center and over 400 staff members (25 of whom are international volunteers). Some really cool points about Honduras:
-The external clinic would expose me to things that I've never seen before. Car accidents, delivering babies, general emergency situations would all fall into my lap.
-I can assist in surgeries! How awesome!!
-They have an enormous parcel of land (2200 acres or something crazy like that). It butts up against a cloud forest!! And its in the jungle! There's so much hiking to be done there, it looks so amazingly beautiful
-On top of my clinic responsibilities I would be assigned a group of children to be in charge of come dinner time/play time. The volunteer coordinator told me I would likely be placed with the babies and toddlers since they wouldn't question why I wasn't as dinner if I was called away to an emergency. I LOVE BABIES!!! The idea of playing with them every night before I go to bed is amazing!
-Honduras has two really great programs. One program allows for abandoned senior citizens to come live at the orphanage and be "grandparents" to the children. That means that i would be giving medical oversite to the seniors as well which I feel totally comfortable doing seeing as how that's been my job for the last two years. And old people and kids are my favorite demographic groups, how great to have them both there!
-The other amazing program that they started there is a hospice home for parents in the last stages of AIDS. Basically the parents come to the orphanage with their kids, the kids get integrated into the community there but still see their parents daily. The parents receive medical care from us and the reassurance that their kids will remain at the orphanage after they pass away. Its really a touching program.

Here are the down sides to Honduras:
-Dude, 600 kids is a lot.
-I don't know nothing about birthing no babies! Dear lord, what if I'm the only nurse on?! It's not like the USA where I can just Web MD it real quick!
-The kids with developmental disabilities (my big passion!) aren't housed here, they're housed in the capital so I wont have any interaction with them. They have their own group of care givers/medical staff
-Its a small country, only 7 million people. (For reference, NYC has 8.5 million people in it). I feel like the larger the country, the better my chances are for some diversity
-A large part of my job would be going to the capital Tegucigalpa to bring kids to the hospitals there. I've heard from a few people now that its HORRIBLE there. A kid who lived in Burma and Bangladesh for two years each (and loved them) said that its really depressing and the level of poverty is overwhelming. I dont know if I'm quite ready to deal with that yet.

Here are the pros of Guatemala:
-I know two people who lived/volunteered in Guatemala, both loved it
-Guatemala has a super rich culture, its still very tied to its Mayan roots and has benefited more from the tourist industry, helping to keep the country from some of the immense poverty issues in the region. Not to say that its not a poor country, its just not QUITE as poor as the others
-The home has 300 kids in it (so I might actually know their names!) including a group home specifically for DD kids that i would assist with (yay!)
-This is stalkerish, but in my research I saw that they just had a new volunteer start in the clinic as a CNA, and he's totally gay!! (well, from what I can tell. But I'm usually pretty good at these things. Safety in numbers!
-Guatemala seems sliiiightly more progressive than Honduras (Guatemala has its own Pride parade!)

Down sides:
-There's a chance that I might be the only nurse there, which means if shit goes down, its all me. Awesome and horrifying at the same time.
- It doesnt have the amazing hiking that Honduras does, but hey, I'm not really going there for the hiking anyway, right? Oh! And Guatemala has volcanos!!!! That's obviously supposed to go on the pros list, but I'll keep it here since it's kind of relevant to the hiking comment ;)

I feel like I'm leaning towards Guatemala at this point. I sent an email to the volunteer coordinator for the country asking her some specifics on the number of staff in the clinic and on my ability to bring meds into the country (I kept this kind of vague but I'm a bit nervous about getting my needles and hormones through customs without major incident.) We'll see what she has to say.
On an unrelated note, Xavier got attacked by a Cicada last night which promptly followed him into the house and continued to terrorize him. I brought it outside (which was actually scary, those monsters are HUGE). Its now singing a nice little song outside my window which is bringing back memories of sleeping in the Vernon house as a kid with all my windows open. It's a huge part of summer for me, listening to the cicadas and the tree frogs, and when I think about wanting to live back out in the country one day, its usually the first memory that comes to mind. Too bad its only 8p, I would love to listen to him as I fall asleep! But since I just woke up 6 hours ago... yeah, that would be bad ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment