Saturday, October 27, 2012

The silver lining

Things here have been pretty rough the last few weeks. Stress levels in the clinic are at an all time high, I lost my computer, and I'm just feeling generally depressed and anxious to get back. Luckily, God is always there to provide, and in my time of trouble He has provided me with my favorite anti-stress remedy: food. Not just any food, but amazing baked deliciousness straight from Germany.

NPH has several workshops to help teach the kids useable trades: carpentry, sewing, metal working. We also have a bakery that I've had very little contact with, save for the fact that they provide all of the volunteer houses with a few loaves of wheat bread each week. Well this week I learned a bit more about our bakery. The man who started the bakery up is a German guy named Gunther. He's part of a non-profit organization that helps support bakers in foreign countries. He travels all over the world spending a few weeks in each place and offering support to local businesses. He teaches them new recipes, offers advice and helps provide updated ovens and equipment. He started the bakery at NPH several years ago and every year he comes to work with the children for a month. It was really amazing to see how the kids interacted with him. He doesn't speak Spanish, only German and a bit of English, but these kids LOVE him. They run up and hug him, everyone shouts out his name as he walks by. I was really surprised at first but I soon figured out why. This man is a baking GOD. He doesn't need to speak, all he needs to do is cook. The first day he was here he invited the volunteers up to the bakery for a special treat. Here's what was waiting for us when we got there


Those are trays of cheesecake squares, peach crumble, strawberry cobbler, danishes and cookies. We had a free for all there, it was all for us and we were even allowed to take some to go. Baked goods are my absolute weakness. I will do anything for a danish, small children would be trampled if they stood between me and a brownie. Needless to say, I took full advantage of his kind offering. I piled my hands high with goodies and made a break for my house, but before I left he asked if he could take my picture (possibly for a warning sign to post in the bakery for future events?). Anyway, with barely ten words spoken between us, Gunther has quickly moved into the position as my favorite person at NPH. Every morning he and the kids whip out something new and delicious and we're welcome to go buy a piece of it (with money going directly to the house). It's like a bake sale on steroids, it's amazing. Check out this beautiful loaf of bread I bought yesterday. Do you have any idea what kind of french toast that'll make?!


Gunther will be here until Nov 15th and I plan on taking full advantage while I can. It's kind of sad that his arrival coincides with me discovering that I'm at my lightest weight in almost five years, but hey, that just means that I have room to play, right? At least he'll be gone six weeks before I head home so that gives me time to correct any slip ups ;) All hail Gunther!

No comments:

Post a Comment