Monday, October 1, 2012

Baby Shower

As I may have mentioned before, my friend Ruben (the dude who owns the restaurant) and his wife Landsey are about to have their first baby any day now. They decided to throw a baby shower and invite only the volunteers! (We're all super excited about the new edition, mostly because we'll be able to get baby cuddle time in while scarfing down on our chicken burritos). They really went all out for the shower, check out the decor. We segregated ourselves into Americans and Europeans.



Ruben cooked us some bruchetta-type stuff and awesome chicken spring rolls. The spring rolls were gone before I could get a picture.


And the very traditional Guatemalan punch. I continue to uphold my no-edibles-in-my-drinkables platform. Looking forward to unchunky juice when I get back to the states.


Pretty traditional to what I imagine baby showers to be like, we played a whole bunch of baby-related games. In an added Guatemalan twist, some could have resulted in loss of life or limb, such as this "balloon race" where we had to blow up the balloon as quickly as possible. First person to cause the balloon to EXPLODE IN YOUR FRIGGEN FACE wins! They didn't explain the rules until I was already up there or else I never would have agreed to it. As you can see, I braced for impact the entire time I blew it up. Totally traumatizing. I won though! In yo' face, Charlotte!!


Staying on the balloon-popping theme for a moment, there was also another game where two team members needed to blow up balloons, then pop one between their backs and another with their stomachs. Much safer, though still anxiety provoking. God I hate popping balloons.


Then we had a banana eating contest. I was able to watch this without once making a snide comment to Holger.


This one was my favorite. We each had to tear off a length of toilet paper that we thought would fit around her stomach. I came pretty close, only shy by a square.


Then we made Landsey dress and change a baby while blindfolded. She actually did a really good job


Ruben had a harder time but it made it entertaining


The soon-to-be Mom and Dad with their pile of loot


Group shot! Aside from the volunteers, on the left of the shot is Landsey's mom, her sister Jackyln, then Ruben and Landsey, and finally her little brother Jerson. (I apologize for what is most likely the butchered spelling of those names)


It was a really great night. Hopefully I'll have some baby pics to put up here at the end of the week!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment