Friday, June 15, 2012

School Play in the Kindergarten

This happened right before I left for my vacation, so before I regale you with tales of the states, let me get caught up here with Guatemala stuff.

The title alone should give you a clue about how friggen cute this was. This year is the first year that the kindergarten kids have their own school. A big donor from Germany funded the construction of the Montessori school a few years ago and construction was completed just before I got here. The kids have been taking their classes in the building since then, but this was finally the "grand opening" celebration. Everyone was invited to go to the school for the party. Naturally I went since I need very little prompting to take a free half day of work (especially when cute kids are involved).

The kids were beyond adorable. They put on a play based on a book called "The Giant Turnip." At first I thought it was "James and the Giant Peach" and I got super excited. I was curious how they were going to pull off the rather complex props, but in my excited chatter the person sitting next to me told me that "nabo" meant turnip, not peach. I still secretly held onto the hope that the story was some kind of spanish version of James and the Giant Peach that took place inside of a turnip, but once the kids started coming out I realized it was totally different. My disappointed disappeared immediately because I LOVE children's books and I was totally excited to hear a new one. Let me recreate it for you...

(This little girl was the narrator. And also a duck.)



There once was a farmer who lived with his wife on a small farm. They had one cow, two pigs, three black cats, four geese and five chickens. The costumes were adorable! My favorites were the pigs.



One day when the farmer and his wife were collecting vegetables, they found a gigantic turnip! The farmer pulled and pulled, but it wouldn't come out of the ground. He asked his wife to help. They pulled and pulled but it wouldn't come out of the ground. They then proceed to ask each of the animal groups to come help them pull the turnip one by one.



With all of the animals helping, the gigantic turnip still wouldn't budge. Suddenly the farmer's wife had an idea. She went inside the house and returned with a hunk of cheese. Soon, a little mouse came out of the field. The farmer's wife asked him to help them, and he agreed. Omg, the mouse.



Naturally, with the help of the little mouse they're able to pull the turnip loose. The wife then promptly cooks it into a soup and serves it to everyone as a thank you for their help. It was a super cute story and the kids were really proud of themselves.

Not all the kids who are in the Montessori are kids who live at NPH. Several of the children are from the local community and just come for school during the day. Their families were there to watch which meant lots of random kids running around. One little boy about three or four years old kept running up to where the kids were putting on their show. The mom didn't seem to think that was a problem and didn't say anything to him about it. The Montessori teacher ended up getting frustrated with him interrupting, so she picked him up and plopped him on my lap. I spent the rest of the time keeping him occupied (which was easy once I designated him my photographer and let him have at it with my camera). Since I was busy watching him, I don't really know what was going on here, but I think the kids were doing some kind of farmer-dance or something.

Here's my boy Brayan in his costume! (This is the kid who had the hand surgery a few months ago)



After the dance, the teachers were presented with flowers for all their work and they showed a slide show of the Montessori being built. Then to thank everyone for their support, they served a squash soup! I ducked out of there to take advantage of some quiet clinic time but I heard the soup was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment