Friday, June 1, 2012

Randomness

I can't even walk into the cafeteria without someone asking me to take their picture


Ernesto (the kid who had his appendix taken out at the end of April) shows off his impressive scar (complete with eye balls)


I don't think I ever showed the inside of the kids dorms before. Here's the girls' house. Pretty typical, lots of posters and stuffed animals.


Because it's always pretty warm here a lot of the buildings have roofs that don't fully connect to the walls to allow for more airflow. Sadly the birds find this very convenient and decide to live indoors as well. Here is one of the boy's dorms with birds' nests in the rafters.


This is what your pantry looks like when you need to feed 500 people three times a day. Beans, rice and sugar: the staple foods of Guatemala (with corn)


And here's breakfast! I really hate that they get fed this cereal, but it's cheap.


Here's why it pays to be friends with the boy who serves the food: double serving of my favorite food here, pepian. Pork stew with potatoes and rice, so friggen delicious.


We also found an awesome hole-in-the-wall empanada place in Antigua. It's super small and kind of dinky looking, but man do they have good emanadas. Super cheap too! $1.50 for each. These are chicken and mozzarella cheese with a spicy red sauce inside (not that you could tell that by the picture.)


And despite my love for these TWO food items in Guatemala, I continue to be thoroughly disappointed by the culinary options here. On the bright side, I've had to add a total of seven holes to my belt since I've been here and I'm pretty sure I've dropped two pant sizes. That should make future jean shopping a bit less challenging. Here's me showing where my belt was when I arrived here (I've since cut off the excess from the end of the belt, it wasn't always that short)


Right after I took that picture I was waiting for the bus to Antigua with Stephanie and Charlotte. I wanted to show them how much weight I lost, so I walked up to where they were sitting and said, "Hey guys, I want to show you something I just took a picture of..." as I was undoing my belt. They both got wide eyed and panicked looking until I realized how that sounded and assured them I wasn't about to be sexually inappropriate with them.

Flowers! Look how pretty. There's a rose nursery right next to the orphanage that sells rose plants for super cheap, so we have gorgeous rose bushes all over the place. These ones are rather plain compared to some of the awesome bright orange and peach ones that are here, but these blooms were the prettiest of the bunch at the time.



After my awesome Mom sent me some emergency cash, I celebrated by going out to dinner with some of the other volunteer. Crepes? Don't mind if I do.


Me in the position I maintain for 70% of my job: sitting in the pharmacy looking at crap on the internet.


And me giving a charla to the kids


My captive audience


This is what it looks like to prep liquid meds for all the kids. Most get pills, these syringes are just for the babies. (Sorry Tia Rosa, bad photo)


Me prepping meds next to my very petite Guatemalan friend


These kids always visit me while I'm working, but I suspect they're just using me for my movie collection ;)


That's all for tonight! Tomorrow I'm heading home to visit my family and friends for ten glorious days! Time to go pack and get some sleep. Can't wait to see some of my most loyal readers in person over the next few days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment