Saturday, May 5, 2012

Baptismo

Originally my plans for todays consisted of laying in bed and reading with the ocasional snack break thrown in, but as I was showering this morning I heard the other volunteers talking about the fact that the babies were getting baptized today so I figured I would check that out (and yeah, there's very little privacy in our bathrooms, the door is more for show than function).

The baptism is done once a year, so there was a rather large group of kids. Some of the staff brought their own babies too which was nice, it was a good way to reinforce the idea that we're all family here. You'll notice that the ages of the kids vary a lot, that's because this is for all the kids who moved here this year and weren't baptized already.

Juan Carlos and I try to keep ourselves amused while we wait for mass to start


But luckily we had Emerson and Alex at hand to distract us


Here's Aury in her little dress! So cute!


Because there were so many people, the priest kind of did all of them as a group. Actually now that I think of it, I think that's how they do them in the States too. He did a blessing over each kid and then later did the water part individually, but all the question/answer stuff was done together. I love all their outfits. Adorable.


The altar boys get ready to the lead the group up


And all the kids marching up to the altar.



After the baptism I went down to my house for breakfast (yay!! Juan Carlos paid me yesterday so I bought eggs! Delicious). Afterwards Martin and Alex visited and we played a German card game called Ligretto. It's kind of a game of Uno if you had to think fast the whole time. It was super fun, I'm going to order my own set. It was kind of funny to see how people leave their mark here too. An old volunteer had given it to them and here they were teaching an American to play a German game. It was pretty funny.

I spent the rest of my day watching Wall-e with my section. It was a fun day but I need to make sure tomorrow is more relaxing (though that's already looking doubtful). I don't like it when weekends go by without any down time :(

No comments:

Post a Comment