Thursday, April 19, 2012

Randomness

Just cleaning off the ol' desktop and wanted to throw in a few random pictures.

Here is an old picture of Dr. Nicole and I in the Montessori school (well technically it's just a picture of Nicole since I'm the one taking the pic). We went there to teach the kids about physicals to prep them for coming to the clinic for their exams the next day. It was tons of fun, they all wanted to play with the stethoscope and blood pressure cuff. I've hung out with the babies a lot since then, but this was my first official interaction with them :)


Here's a random door I saw somewhere (Antigua?). I loved the detailing around it (and the hand-carved doors!)


Two of my favorite boys. The little dude is the one had all those hand surgeries done, and the older boy is Alex who has big dreams of going to culinary school if he can save up enough money. I already have him on my short list for boys to support when I get home. He's such a good kid and he keeps me company in the clinic a lot :)


Here's pizza from the restaurant that we visit a lot in Antigua. It's good pizza, but it's a little too fancy for me. Charlotte, Steph and I have all been dreaming about finding regular American pizza: floppy, cheesy and greasy. Hopefully we'll find a good place soon, until then we're going to eat the artisan stuff.


Here's one of my kids with a random stray cat. The kids (like most kids) have a bad habit of finding stray animals and bringing them home. The only difference is that here they don't really have parents to tell them to forget about it. The Tios seem not to mind so much; they let the kids keep the animals until they inevitably grow bored of them in a few days and release them back to the wild. I hate it. Every time it happens I start nonchalantly talking about rabies. It also bugs me for the animals sake. The kids have no access to the supplies they need, nor do they understand about taking care of animals. They found a young puppy the other day and when it came to me it was listless and just laying there occasionally looking around, definitely not puppy behavior. Turns out the kids hadn't fed it in two days! I kind of went off on them about being irresponsible and made them sit through a lecture about how to take care of animals, but the truth of the matter is the kids don't even get milk, they definitely don't have any to spare for pets (though that doesn't deter them from dragging them home).


Here are some chickens being sold on the streets at one of the markets. A lot of folks buy their meat fresh here (aka alive). Tia Rosa told me that her husband bought a cow and butchered it for her wedding, but I can never tell when she's lying to me. She thinks its funny to make up stories about crazy things Guatemalans do.


At our house we all have these iron doors on our rooms. We can write each other messages on them with chalk which is really cool. Each of us has our names written on our rooms which is a huge help to me because even know I forget the names of people in my house.


One of the funniest calendars I've ever seen. Each month has a picture of a different young preist. Holger has it hanging next to his bed. I'm still trying to figure out if it's supposed to be sexual or inspirational or what.


And that's the end of my photo dump! My brain was too fried to write a real blog post tonight, but tomorrow's my day off so hopefully I'll find a bit more motivation ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment