Saturday, March 17, 2012

St Patrick's Day

One of the first things I'm sure to tell people after meeting me is that my Mom grew up in Ireland and moved to the US as a teenager. I'm super proud of my Irish heritage so I'm always happy when St Patricks Day rolls around. Usually we do a traditional dinner at Mom's house; corned beef, cabbage, carrots and soda bread. I was really bummed to be missing out on that this year (especially after the amazing Guinness-boiled corned beef she made last year). I decided that I would do my best to recreate the dinner here; it would be a nice way to show the other volunteers what my family's customs are. Sadly I quickly realized that corned beef was non-existant here. I was going to try to improvise, but then someone suggested that we all go to the only Irish pub in Guatemala (which is conveniently located in Antigua!) I figured if anyone was going to be able to find corned beef in Guatemala it would be them, so I gladly went along with the plan. A few of us got to the bar early (4:30) and ordered dinner. Sadly, they weren't offering corned beef but they did have a fish and chip special, Irish stew, bangers and mash and a shepard's pie :) I was a little dubious about ordering Irish food in Guatemala (my previous experiences with Japanese and Chinese foods here have left a lot to be desired) so I ordered the Shepard's Pie (I figured they can't mess up a meal too bad if it had cheddar cheese on it.) I was actually pleasantly surprised! The food was really, really good! The pie was LOADED with meat, way more than I expected. I would definitely want to go and check out the rest of their dishes.


After the dinner we proceeded to get our drink on :) I had green beer for the first time ever and liked it so much that I went on to drink two pitchers of it on my own.


The bar was pretty cool. The were playing some good music though they seemed to only have a playlist of about 15 (kind of surprising considering they have to play Irish music every day). The night started out with a small friendly crowd which turned into an obnoxious group of drunk tourists before long. We ended up leaving by 8:30p and going home but I was totally okay with that :) I still had an awesome time (though I still missed mom's corned beef!)




No comments:

Post a Comment