Saturday, December 29, 2012

Randomness

Things are moving right along here. I'm glad we're finally done with Christmas, I feel like it's the only thing I've talked about for the last month. So here's my very last Christmas-related blog post (hooray!)

I finally snagged Aileen (Julian's sister) and some girls from her section to make Christmas cookies. We had a fun time listening to music and getting our bake on.



We had so many visitors throwing parties for the kids this month. They ended up hording away SO MUCH candy


And they also got some really great gifts. Check out this bike donation. Only problem? 10 bikes for all the kids. Luckily, I'm not in charge of figuring out that sharing system!


The kids have come back from their vacation now. It's nice to see all their faces, I actually missed quite a few of them. It always cracks me up how similar kids are despite living thousands of miles apart in totally different cultures. One of the boys came back from visiting his dad in Peten, the northern most state in Guatemala (mostly humid jungle). Guess what he brought with him? A turtle he found in the woods. He thought he could keep it under his bed here as a pet. Through a series of events, I now have custody of the turtle. I'm trying to keep him warm enough to survive the winter here since it's a lot colder at night here than in Peten. If he makes it, he'll join another orphan turtle in the kindergarten classroom.


One custom that's really huge here is making really intricate nativity scenes. I wrote quite a bit about this last year. They built a whole addition to the Antigua market just for nativity supplies. Here is a quick photo I took. Check out the dyed sawdust, very pretty :)


Here was our Christmas breakfast. It's fried tortillas with black beans and cream. God what I'd give for a taylor ham, egg and cheese sandwich...


But that's okay because....


This is my favorite phone app! I look at it every day :) I skyped with Mom, Jeff and the girls this week for the first time in months. It was really great to hear from them and know that everyone's doing okay. I'm so excited to see their faces in real life!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment