Monday, January 30, 2012

Guatemala Randomness (mostly food)

I have all these pictures to post and no real context under which to post them, so here are some more random tidbits from me...

Bacon isn't prepackaged here! Everything is fresh, so they take a slab of pig and cut it for you, even in the supermarkets. It's cool because that means I can order five pieces of bacon at a time :)


Here's a traditional Guatemalan breakfast: refried black beans spread over toast with cream on top. Actually really, really good :)


And another variation of that, black beans with scrambled eggs and homemade tortillas


Fried bananas with honey. Delicious!!


Soups are really popular here. Lunch is the big meal, so dinner is usually just some soup and bread or something similar. Here is a really popular soup called pepian. It's like a peppery beef stew, really good. Made me think of my mom's beef stew which is quite possibly my favorite thing in the world.


And here's the worst soup I had. Other people would probably appreciate it, but I have an absolute disdain for cilantro and this was cilantro soup. I was a good guest and ate every drop of it though (as my body screamed at me).


I found macaroni and cheese!! Any doubts of being able to make it through a year here have now disappeared


You can buy eggs straight from the farmers. They come in a little bag.


They don't need to choose what kind of sugary cereal to have at the orphanage, they just mix it all together!


This is the wine that the decided was worthy enough to import from the United States. Good thing I LOVE IT!!


They don't use liquid dish soap here, they use this cream that you smear onto your sponge. It works pretty well, plus the added benefit is that you use it for washing your clothes too.


Guatemala also has AMAZING doors everywhere. There have been so many great, old doors, here's just one example.


Here's a little table that the cook from the language school used to use to make lunch. I just love all the fresh vegetables


Here's another shot of my old language school


And then the new school. I might have posted a lot of these pics already, I dont feel like reading all my old entries to figure it out.


When I was at the school my teacher gave me this magazine to read. It's all about different ghost stories in Guatemala. I loved it, too bad I had to give t back


These guys sit on my nightstand at night to bring me luck. I already talked about the owl in another post, the little snowman is a gift from mom. I also bought an awesome little clay armadillo, I need to put up a picture of him too.


Remember how I mentioned before that there are crosses built in all four compass directions in Antigua? Here's the southern one.


Hard to see, but apparently Walmart paid for part of the orphanage


I guess this is what Guatemalans think Irish people look like...


Sunrise...



And sunset!





3 comments:

  1. I love Arbor Mist! I thought it was Canadian because they sell it at the wine store my mom works at (which is supposed to only sell wine that is at least in part from Canada) but I googled and it is from New York. Hmm.... My sister and I drink it all the time when we are at my mom's though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pic of what they think of the Irish. At times I was thinking that the pics of food were not that good though. Need to get you some White Merlot though. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that door! Here's hoping I can come visit and see it with you!

    ReplyDelete