Sunday, December 11, 2011

My first time to the grocery store

I moved into my apartment today. It's pretty nice, I definitely feel like I have more freedom here, though I was a bit misled into thinking I'd have one of the nicer units. Apparently the apartments that I had seen were considered the high-end studio apartments. The one I was given is an exact replica of the room I just left: A bed, dresser and bathroom. No fridge, no TV. It's on the ground level though and the door literally opens up into the courtyard where our classes are, so at least I just bought myself an extra 30 min of sleeptime :) I'm really close to the kitchen too, so it's all good.
I ended up working out a pretty sweet deal with the lady from the home stay. The biggest downside of leaving there is the fact that now I miss out on the conversations we would have during meal times. At the school I need to supply my own food. I asked her if she'd be open to me coming over weekdays for lunch and dinner and paying her a weekly fee for food. She agreed and said she'd be willing to give me ten meals a week for $25! Such an awesome deal. So tomorrow I'll start that :)
I still need to feed myself breakfast and all my meals on the weekends, so I went to the supermarket for the first time. It kind of reminded me of being down the shore, you know how you go to the grocery store and it's kind of a mis-mosh of everything? There were toys on one aisle, then a little food, then plastic sand pails, then some alcohol, then some more crap. It was a bit confusing to me, especially since I couldn't easily identify a lot of the items so I would have to pick them off the shelf and try to translate everything. I was there for about an hour and I still couldn't find a few things I was looking for. Peanut butter, why do you elude me so?! I'm not sure if they just dont use those items here or if I was just looking in the wrong places (a good possibility, I spend five minutes trying to find the milk section before I realized they only use powdered milk here.) I might go back tomorrow and try to track down the last few things. But until then, here are the things that quite possibly Guatemala does not offer:

-peanut butter (though another student said that it IS there, I just didnt look hard enough)
-macaroni and cheese (I know, I know)
-pudding
-crackers! I dont even care what brand or if they have seeds all over them, I just want some damn crackers and cheese
-pretzels

I seriously couldn't find ANY snack foods except candy. I just want something to munch on when I'm chilling in my room :( I was also told about this organic store a few blocks down so I might check that place out too, not that I really need high-end organic crackers, but I'll take what I can get.
Tomorrow's another big day at school, I need to wake up early and study (how did I get through this whole weekend without studying once?? smh). The school is going salsa dancing tomorrow with the aforementioned salsa dance instructor. I'm not sure if I want to subject myself to that, though it would make for some pretty humiliating pictures, I'm sure.

Some shots of my new room. Note that the shower is kind of just a cordoned off area of the bathroom, just a place where the floor dips down a bit. The shower curtain makes me think of Jamie, of course.




One cool thing that I've noticed here is that these brick ceilings seem to be in style. I love them!



Here's a shot of the kitchen. I could only get a piece of it, the kitchen is actually huge and very beautiful. It has this really great skylight in it that I can't get to come out in pictures. Just trust me, its really nice.


2 comments:

  1. Love your new place. Love reading your stories. Escpecially about the peanut butter. Sounds like you are happy. God Bless

    ReplyDelete