Thursday, September 29, 2011

The end draweth nigh...

Well, this is it, my last night in Brooklyn. I'm starting to feel really sad about leaving, Brooklyn's been so good to me these last three years. It's funny, I still remember the first time I drove in here to see Tania. I was scared shitless and I swore that I'd never move here. My original goal was to convince Tania to move into my cabin back where it was quiet and safe. Needless to say she squashed that idea pretty quickly. Eventually I got to the point where I could tolerate Brooklyn enough to move there, and over the last three years I've come to realize what an amazing place it really is. So here's a little list of the things I'll miss most about it here (in no particular order): -Veggie chicken nuggets from Vegetarian Palate in Park Slope. If you havent had these before, do so immediately. -Really amazing friends who've helped me grow into a stronger, more educated person. -The best dating/hook up options I've ever experienced -Hanging out in coffee shops all day -Getting food delivered (how sad that I cant do this in Jersey!!) -Amazing selections of beer -Cake Man -My great garden that took so long to get together -hundreds of restaurants to choose from -Lounging in Fort Greene Park with the pup -Brady :( There are so many other things, I'm sure they'll come to me over the next few weeks as I try to get settled back in Jersey. Part of me is happy to be heading back. I love my family and can't wait to spend time with them everyday. I've also fell out of touch with a lot of my friends there, I'm looking forward to building those relationships back up. And its also autumn! That's my favorite season, especially for hiking which I plan on doing as frequently as possible :) So tonight to commemorate our last night together, Xavier and I went out to Putnum on Myrtle. It was our first time there, they're relatively new, and I really liked them. I had a great chicken pot pie (I only wish it was twice as big) and I drank some pretty good Pumpkin Ale.
It was nice being able to spend some time with Xavier. We've grown pretty close, particularly over the last few months, and I'm going to miss coming home to him (or more accurately, having him come home to me). He's off to live in Manhattan, so there's still a chance that we'll be able to hang when I come into the city. I went home and finished up my packing. Here are all my worldly possessions! It's still more than I had hoped, but I was able to get rid of a ton of stuff. Considering that six years ago I had enough crap to fill an entire house and this is what I'm down to, I think I'm doing pretty good :) (My living room looks so sad!)
Here's what's left of my bedroom. Big difference from my hoarders pic from last week. This is the first time that I've seen the apartment empty, its pretty sad. When I moved in here Tania had already been settled for a few years. It was a little unsettling to see it like this.
So as of tomorrow the apartment will be left in Tara's capable hands. As sad as I am to leave it, I know that she'll make it look beautiful and appreciate it as much as it should be appreciated. Off to bed, tomorrow I resume my role of country mouse/mountain man.

No comments:

Post a Comment