Sunday, September 16, 2012

Randomness

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend! Time for another random photo dump :)

Here's Jack. This boy has a serious addiction to hot sauce (and wicked shirts).


It was Jose Louis' birthday this week. I haven't talked much about Jose, but he lives with me in the house and is roughly my age (he just turned 32). He's a super awesome guy. He works as a kindergarten teacher and volunteered with kids in Lithuania and Poland before coming here. I love having him in the house, even though it's almost impossible to understand him (people from Spain speak MUCH faster than people from Guatemala, plus they pronounce their words with a lisp. It takes a lot of focusing to figure out what they're saying). Anyway, we had a surprise party for him at La Familia. He was really happy.


And then I made eggplant parm for everyone for his birthday dinner. If nothing else, I'll know that my eggplant parm made an everlasting impact on Guatemala. Several people have asked for the recipe :)


HUGE thank you to the anonymous donor who sent me a little money to get through the month! Here's what $40 worth of groceries look like!


I had a med run with Audy this week. She's so adorable! She sat in the waiting room while I was talking to the doctor, and she was able to nab this free piece of corn from one of the other patients, just by being cute. Little scam artist.


This is a picture of a picture, so sorry for the quality. I have no idea who this little girl is (she's an externo, so she only comes here for school and then goes home to her family at the end of the day) but every time I see her she reminds me of my Nana Barbara. Maybe it's the haircut?


The doctor and Liseth (one of my favorite nurses) spending some time with a sick kid


And here's the youngest member of NPH Gautemala. He's 15 months or so. I love babies <3






Oh. My. God. This is called estofado (stew) and it's another traditional Guatemalan dish. It's basically pulled chicken that's braised in some kind of tomato base. Holy shit. Definitely the best food I've had since I've gotten here. Ruben made this in the restaurant as a lunch special and gave me some after I helped him out a little. I loved it so much he packed me a bag of it to take home. I ate it for every meal for two days and still wanted more. I refuse to return to the States without this recipe.


I haven't talked much about rain lately, but we're still deep in rainy season. I don't know if it's always like this here, but rainy season has leveled out to basically be normal New England weather. Sometimes it rains here, sometime it doesn't. When it does though, it's usually INTENSE. Check out this mini-flood while we were driving through the capital.


And in this week's edition of "Things I Wish I Was Home For", my dearest baby sister Lauren moved out of the house and into her own space for the first time! Yes, it's a college dorm, and I couldn't be happier :) Here she is showing me her new room


And look what she brought with her! It's the little owl I gave her from Guatemala. This photo made me cry!


My dad sent me this photo along with the ones of Lauren. He wanted to let me know that he was enjoying the start of Autumn and baking apple pies. I will assume that this photo is not a taunt, but rather a promise to bake me as many apple pies as I like once I return.


And finally, I saw this quote online and thought it was wonderful. This is exactly how I want to approach life



No comments:

Post a Comment