Monday, July 30, 2012

iPhone app review (aka I'm bored out of my mind)

I guess it's a good thing to be bored, considering the alternatives. Things here have settled down nicely; the new volunteers have learned their jobs and are now getting themselves comfortable in their positions. We're getting adjusted to all the new personalities in the house. Things are really going pretty smoothly, no major issues have popped up yet.

I've somehow stumbled upon a whole lot of extra time during the last few weeks. I've been trying to figure out exactly where it came from and have yet to determine it's source, though it may be related to the decrease in internet service to my house (it's now absolutely impossible to do anything online while I'm home, only while I'm in the clinic). Luckily, I've never been one to have difficulty in using up spare time. I've been ripping through books every day or two, and since I've banned myself from spending money on Amazon that means I've had to go hunting for new sources. Luckily Charlotte, Stephanie and I found an American Legion-run library in Antigua! We had to pay Q100 for a year-long membership (about $15), but that let's us take out four books at a time. We're sharing the membership so we're limited to one book each, but that's still fine. They have a ton of books too (though almost all are in English. Fine by me but not what the girls were hoping for).


Here are the bookworms in action. How cute.


Aside from my reading, I've been OBSESSIVELY playing games on my iPhone. I'm super impressed by how cool free games can be! Check out the graphics on this game, Monster Pet Shop:



It's pretty similar to a Tamagotchi, you need to take care of different types of monsters until someone wants to buy one, after which you have access to different species. If you're into giving imaginary food to imaginary creatures and then cleaning their imaginary cages, it'll be right up your alley.

The other new game I got (and easily the most-played app on my phone, by both me and every kid who visits the clinic) is one called Jetpack Joyride. Basic premise: you steal a jetpack from a laboratory and need to dodge obstacles to try to escape. During the game you collect coins which can then be traded in for better gear. You're given missions as you go through the game and the level design changes every time you play, so it NEVER gets boring. Never. I've played this game for hours on end, it's dangerous.


The nice things about having the kids play is not only does it keep them occupied while I'm doing my work, when they hand my phone back I have THOUSANDS of coins I did absolutely nothing to earn! It's like I'm being rewarded for sharing my toys :)

I know this entry is boring but alas, so are things here right now :P

No comments:

Post a Comment