Saturday, October 15, 2011

Operation: Guatemala update

Well, we're trucking along in the preparations category. I went ahead and signed up for my medical benefits. The company I chose actually offers a pretty good deal. Not only do they cover medical emergencies while I'm over there, they also pay for my healthcare when I'm back home in the US for visits. They'll also pay for me to go home in an emergency if God forbid something happens to one of my family members. It's a pretty great plan, all for the low price of $550/year! Actually that IS cheap, I'm not being sarcastic. So we're all ready to role in that respect.

The other big thing I did was sign up for language classes at Centro Linguistico in Antigua, Guatemala . I'll be taking lessons from Dec 7th to Jan 8th, then moving to the orphanage on Jan 9th. The orphanage is only 30 min or so from the school, so it should be easy to find a ride there. I'll be taking 35 hours of classes per week, plus doing every possible extra curricular activity that they offer. Originally I wanted to stay with a host family, but after talking with the dude from the school, he convinced me that taking a private apartment would be better. To be honest, the idea of having added privacy and being able to be antisocial when I want is extremely appealing to me, I just have to be sure that I push myself to get outside and interact with folks on my own though.

The last thing left to do is get my plane ticket! Thats the last big item left to buy, and unfortunately my funds are getting dangerously low. I cant get my ticket until I start getting some money in from my weekend job, which wont be for another two weeks yet. I'm hoping to stumble upon a bit of money before I leave just to give me a bit of a cushion while I'm away. I still havent completely ruled out a fundraiser... but luckily my birthday is happening right before I leave, and I'm going to ask for nothing but cash. Lots and lots of cash ;)

We started making our introductions to one another online. I met three girls that'll be volunteering the same time as me. It's funny talking to them, knowing that this time next year I'll possibly count them amongst my closest friends, or possibly hate their guts ;) One of them is going to be taking language classes for the last week of my month in school, so we'll have a chance to get to know one another before we head to the orphanage. It's kind of nice that'll I'll have someone to talk to during the pre-arrival stress out time.

Next step is to get the final go-ahead from the company. They have my paperwork and we're waiting for the background check to come back. There's a minute possibility that they might deny me due to my background check (not for anything criminal, simply because of my situation) but I dont think it's going to be an issue. Still, I'll feel better once I get the official contract from them. (Not to worry, I already checked the refund policy on both the school and the health insurance JUST in case).
I'll keep you all updated, now its time for bed so I can go make some money in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment