Friday, January 18, 2013

Ugh.

Well, I knew eventually my excitement for going home would fall under my sadness for leaving, and that day has come. I spent my morning saying goodbye to a crying Tia Rosa and it just about broke my heart. It's so hard leaving knowing full well it may be a year or two before we have any contact again.
As I was walking back to my house with a lump in my throat, I couldn't help but want to stay. I remember when I first got here to NPH, how hard I struggled to be accepted and understood. I couldn't connect with anyone because of my language issues and I felt so alone. Now here I am a year later, loved and respected, a valued member of the family. I can't walk to work without hugs and smiles from passing kids and employees, and now it's time to rip up my roots again. Of course I'm super excited to get back to my friends and family, but it means leaving other friends and family behind which is so hard.
This day is only going to get tougher, but less than 24 hours from now I'll be at the airport heading towards more happiness. Until then we'll have a day to dwell on the pain and sadness of leaving everyone behind here.

No comments:

Post a Comment