Sunday, November 4, 2012

Lake house getaway

Another popular tourist area in Guatemala is the beautiful Lake Atitlan, a large crater lake nestled between volcanos about two hours from where we live. A bunch of the volunteers had been to the lake before, but I've never been able to afford the trip. Lucky for me, one of the old volunteers Karla (who lives in Guatamala) invited all of us over to her boyfriend's lake house for the weekend!

You know what's a good indicator that we're about to have a really nice weekend? When we're on the way there and you find out that the only people who'll be in the house for the weekend are you and the servants. Servants! Yep, we were totally on our way to some rich people's lake house!

And man, was it worth every penny they paid for it. I had heard that this lake was the prettiest lake in the world (quite possibly an exaggeration, but not by much). This place was amazing. Check out the view from the house.


And the view while I was enjoying my breakfast


There were actually two houses, one for bedrooms and another for the kitchen/hang out areas. Whoever came up with that idea was genius; folks could stay up all night drinking and partying without disturbing the people who wanted to go to bed earlier (ie Me).

The weekend was really chill. We had our fair share of beer, I read a lot, went swimming down by the dock. Check out this dock. We went paddle boarding here and got to float through the lake surrounded by the volcanos.


And there was plenty of time to play my two favorite games!

Brandi Dog


And Rummy 500!


Karla and her boyfriend Miguel are two of the greatest people I've met on this trip, really down to earth, kind and generous. It was great to spend the weekend with them and the other volunteers.

PS We were handed sheets when we arrived and look at the ones I got! They're Smurf sheets and I totally owned these when I was little! I was super excited about this (obviously, since I took a picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment